Poodle teddy bear cut is one of the popular hairstyles for Poodle dogs. When one says “Poodle,” all that one thinks of is a classy, stylish dog in classic Hollywood movies. However, Poodles are known for their elegant grooming, and Poodle owners prefer the teddy bear cut. They have wavy growing hair, which gives them an adorable look. They shed low and are hypoallergenic; still, they need grooming. Grooming helps to maintain the dog’s coat, fur, and hair from matting, which can be painful for the dog.
Image Source: Flickr
Poodle Basic Information
- Name: Poodle
- Height: 18-24 inches
- Weight: 40-70 pounds
- Size: Medium to Large
- Coat: Curly, either can be kept long or clipped short
- Color: Chocolate/Brown, dark mahogany, walnut brown
- Group: Non-sporting
- Activities: Agility training, dog shows, tracking
- Barking Level: Frequent
- Shedding Level: Low
- Hypoallergenic: Yes
- Energy: High
- Litter Size: 1-7 pups
- Life Span: 12-15 years
- Other Names: Caniche, Chocolate Poodle, Puddle
Poodles – An Overview
The Poodle is France’s national dog and originates in France and Germany. The name “Poodle” was derived from the German word “Pudel,” meaning “splash in the water.” Poodles have a natural tendency to love water and hence the name.
The French term “Caniche” means “duck dog,” as the Poodle dogs were used for duck hunting. The name helped to identify the Poodles back in the Middle Ages. So, French or German, Poodles were named perfectly to fit their natural characteristics.
Poodles are intelligent, loving, and affectionate dogs. They are also playful, intelligent, obedient, and easy to train. Poodles are not aggressive but have watchdog tendencies. They love to play and romp around puppies and young dogs. Standard Poodles are calmer than the chocolate Toy Poodles and Teacup Poodles.
Image Source: Pinterest
What is a Poodle Teddy Bear cut?
Poodles have lovely hair and fur, making them one of the cutest looking dogs. Poodles are primarily working dogs, and their curly hair is kept short for easy maintenance. As they began to gain popularity and started participating in dog shows, styling a Poodle became popular among Poodle owners. A teddy bear Poodle cut is a coat style in which hair is kept 1-2 inches over the dog’s body. However, traditional Poodle cuts have shaved faces, which gives the dog a rugged look. The Teddy bear cut provides the Poodle with a soft look, and the front has the same length of hair as the rest of the body. As the name implies, your pup looks like a furry teddy bear ready to be cuddled.
Steps to Give Poodle a Teddy Bear Cut
- Assemble the tools – Collect all the materials required to groom the dog. For example, the tools needed for a teddy bear cut include a dog brush, shampoo, conditioner, towel, clippers, scissors, blow dryer, and a grooming table.
- Cleaning – Brush the Poodle hair smoothly without tangles and mats. There are two types of brush – bristle and slicker. Next, bathe the dog using a dog-friendly shampoo and conditioner. This step helps to remove dirt and avoid infections.
- Grooming – Start to cut from the head and continue straight along the middle of the back to the tail. To trim, it is best to use blade 10. Trim the hair around the abdomen, underarms, and genitals.
- Clipper – Always use high-quality clippers that help to clip the hair around the head and neck. Also, clip the hair on the legs, belly, chest, and other body parts.
- Ears – Be careful and take extra time to cut the hair around the ears. Use pet-friendly scissors to give the dog the perfect cut.
- Head – This is the last step to get the perfect teddy bear cut look. Take some practice sessions and give the head a round-shaped cut that makes the dog look like a teddy bear. Use a dog-friendly brush and groom smoothly to make the haircut look perfect.
How Often Should Poodles be Groomed?
Poodles shed very low but need to be groomed once every four weeks. Beginners can go slow and can groom for 6-8 weeks. You can brush the coat of a teddy bear cut Poodle 2-3 times a week. If your pup tends to be outdoors, daily brushing your dog is best.
Tips on Grooming a poodle
Once you own a Poodle, it’s a lifetime commitment to grooming and coat maintenance that certainly takes work. Here are a few tips while grooming a Poodle.
- Introduce grooming at the puppy stage. Poodle puppies should be bathed and brushed from day one. However, you can take them to a professional groomer after 12 weeks.
- Always use a slicker brush with metal pins and a metal comb. This helps to brush right to the bottom of the coat and remove loose hair and dirt and prevent tangles and matting.
- Ideally, it would be best if you bathed a Poodle with a coat of its kind once every three weeks. Then, dry the coat with the hairdryer and finish with brushing.
- When the coat is not maintained, it gets painful for the dog due to tangling and mats.
- Always research your groomer, and look for recommendations as you would with your hairdresser.
Tools required for Poodle Teddy Bear cut
- Dog Brush
- Dog Shampoo
- Two-sided steel comb
- Dematting comb
- Scissors set
- Grooming Table
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a teddy bear poodle cut?
A Teddy bear Poodle cut is a cut in which hair is cut short to about 1-2 inches all over the body except the face, giving the dog the teddy bear look.
Can all poodles have a teddy bear cut?
Yes. All Poodles can have the teddy bear cut.
What is the difference between puppy cut and poodle cut?
Puppy cut and Poodle cut are similar; the only difference is that Poodle cut is aimed at dogs with curly hair like Poodles, Labradoodles, Goldendoodles, and any other Poodle mix.
How much does a teddy bear cut cost?
If you have a toy or a medium-sized pup, the teddy bear cut costs around $30-$50. The price varies depending on your location, dog’s coat, and the nature of his hair (soft/silky/medium/long). If you have a Standard Poodle, the grooming cost goes up to $90. Remember, the more dirty and knotted the coat is, the more it costs.
How often should a Poodle be groomed?
It would be best to groom your Poodles approximately once in 6 weeks.
Poodles have wavy and shiny hair and are high-maintenance dogs. Poodles are given many types of haircuts, but the teddy bear cut is the most preferred among Poodle owners. Teddy bear cut is part of grooming Poodle dogs, making the Poodle look elegant and cute. Styling and grooming are essential for Poodles as they help to keep the coat shiny and healthy.
Image Source:Pinterest, Image Source: Pinterest, Image Source: Pinterest, Image Source: Pinterest, Image Source: wowtutorial.org, Image Source: Petfinder.my, Image Source: Pinterest.de, Image Source: Pinterest, Image Source: wowtutorial.org, Image Source: Pinterest