Dogs put nearly everything in their mouths, from dirty shoes to plastic toys. As a result, clueless pooches can chew up and swallow dangerous foreign objects or even poisonous toxins like antifreeze, toxic houseplants, and forbidden human food.
When your dog eats something harmful, inducing vomiting may be the first step to save his life. Yet, not all situations warrant this drastic measure. For this reason, it’s just as important to know when you should not induce vomiting as it is to understand how to do it.
Table of Contents
What Tools are Required to Make a Dog Throw Up?
Steps on How to Make a Dog Throw Up
Since inducing vomiting in dogs can be helpful when your dog has eaten some unwanted thing, knowing how to do it safely is the key. Before you start, of course, always speak with a vet as soon as possible. Veterinarians know more accurate details regarding the best and safest way to induce vomiting in dogs. Here are the best steps to make a dog throw up.
Use hydrogen peroxide
If your dog ate some unwanted item in the last 2 hours, get 3% hydrogen peroxide solution. Ensure you do not get anything higher because higher concentrations can be unsafe for your puppy.
Understand the dosage
Your veterinarian knows what dosage they think is best for your dog. If a vet is unavailable, it’s a good rule of thumb to do 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds taken in the mouth. It is also essential to know that you should never give your dog more than 3 tablespoons of this solution.
Administer the solution
Give your dog hydrogen peroxide. To ensure they sip the solution, get a turkey baster and inject it into your dog’s mouth by squirting it between their back teeth. You may need to pull up their lip to get in there. If this isn’t working, you can administer the solution from the front of their mouth, but make sure they don’t inhale it.
Try again if it doesn’t work
If your dog doesn’t start vomiting in around 10-15 minutes, try another dose, which might be the push they need.
Monitor your dog
Once your dog has vomited, keep an eye out for any unfavorable reactions like diarrhea, lethargy, or if they keep vomiting for more than 45 minutes.
Consult your veterinarian
If your dog doesn’t show any signs of adverse reactions, call your vet, and bring them for an in-person visit ASAP. Your veterinarian may want to give your dog something else to rid them of what he has ingested completely. Additionally, a good check-up with a licensed professional is always the best strategy for peace of mind.
Look for signs of severe poisoning
Do not induce vomiting if your dog shows signs of severe poisoning such as:
- Difficulty in breathing
- Slow heart rate
- Looking depressed
- Having seizures
- Decreased swallowing ability
- Recent abdominal surgery
- Megaesophagus (enlargement of esophagus)
- Consumed corrosive substances, drugs, or sharp objects
Take your dog to your veterinarian right away.
Do not try ipecac or salt to induce vomiting
Ipecac syrup is recommended for inducing vomiting in dogs. However, it settles in the stomach and causes stomach irritation if your dog doesn’t vomit. Salt is also not recommended because it can become toxic if a dog is given too much of it.
Induce vomiting promptly
Get your dog to vomit within about 2 hours after it has ingested something toxic. After 2 hours, the toxin may pass into the intestines, making induction of vomiting no longer effective.
When to Make a Dog Throw Up?
When your dog swallows toxic foods or medications such as:
- Garlic and onion
- Macadamia nuts
- Yeast dough
- Plants, such as azaleas and daffodils
symptoms may develop in less than 20 minutes or may take days to occur. Metal items, such as coins, can cause zinc toxicity as they settle in the GI tract. Making your dog throw up can help get some toxins out of the digestive tract even if some time has passed since a dog ate grapes or Ibuprofen (a toxic medication to dogs). But it is always recommended to induce vomiting under the guidance of a veterinarian or a pet poison control expert.
- Your vet may treat your pet with activated charcoal. It prevents absorption of toxins into the digestive system as activated charcoal binds with the toxins and inhibits their action.
- According to FDA’s recent approval, your vet may suggest Clevor (ropinirole), an eye drop that induces vomiting when used in your dog’s eyes.
- Apomorphine, an opioid medicine, induces vomiting in 5-10mminutes.
- Xylazine, yet another drug, induces vomiting in dogs.
When Not to Make a Dog Throw Up?
Some swallowed objects are just as dangerous coming back up as they are going down. For example, sharp objects like pins, tacks, shards of glass or plastic, needles, screws, hooks from Christmas ornaments, or other pointy items can cut your dog’s insides. Do not wait for sharp objects to pass through your dog’s system. A veterinarian needs to remove these objects surgically. So take your dog to your emergency room immediately.
Other fluid-like items can cause burns or internal damage if you induce vomiting. For example, chewed or swallowed batteries may leak acid, causing chemical burns to the stomach and esophagus. Do not throw up if your puppy consumed acids (like drain cleaner or bleach), alkali liquids (like ammonia or laundry detergent), paint or paint thinner, motor oil or gas, or any toxic houseplant. Instead, call your vet or pet poison control immediately.
Kindly do not induce vomiting:
- If your dog is a brachycephalic breed such as Pug, Pekingese, French Bulldog.
- Suppose your dog suffers from pneumonia and other respiratory problems.
- If your dog is lethargic, having seizures, laryngeal paralysis, or unconscious.
Before making your dog throw up, always contact your vet first. Sometimes vomiting can harm your dog further, so don’t take any chances. In many cases, attempting to induce vomiting at home may cause more damage than good, so bring your pet in for evaluation and treatment with your local veterinarian if you aren’t sure about the process.