A Chihuahua Husky mix, otherwise known as Chi-Husky, is a hybrid of Chihuahua and Siberian Husky. This designer breed is quite rare and can only be produced through technologies such as Artificial insemination or IVF. The Chihuahua Husky mix is one surprising and unique breed. The size distinction between the two parental breeds makes this combination seem incredible.
Chi-Husky’s appearance significantly differs and is not recommended for new pet owners since they have a stubborn streak. This mixed breed could be very independent. However, if you are not a dominant owner, they will trick you into assuming the alpha part.
Chi-Husky is loyal, lively, affectionate, playful, and protective. So, he requires rigorous obedience training.
Chihuahua Husky Mix Pros and Cons
|Rare mix with a unique look||Health issues|
|Intelligent and sassy||Unpredictable temperament|
|Children friendly||Tendency to be aggressive|
Chihuahua Husky Mix Breed Information
- Name: Chihuahua Husky Mix
- Height: 6 – 15 inches
- Weight: 7 – 15 pounds
- Size: Small to Medium
- Coat: Short to medium length
- Color: White, black, tan, black, silver, brown, red hues, gray, copper, chocolate, Fawn
- Energy: Medium to High
- Activities: Watchdogs
- Group: Mixed breed
- Barking Level: Medium
- Shedding Level: Low to medium depending on the dominant trait
- Hypoallergenic: No
- Litter Size: 1 – 5 puppies
- Life Span: 12 – 16 years
- Other Names: Chi-Husky, Husky- Chi, Huskyhuahua, and Husky Chihuahua mix.
- Breed Recognition: None
Siberian Husky vs. Chihuahua: A Comparison
|Height||20 to 23 inches||6 – 9 inches|
|Weight||35 to 60 Pounds||3 – 6 pounds|
|Group||Working Group||Companion dogs|
|Shedding Level||Medium||Low to Medium|
|Overall Health||Medium to High||Low to Medium|
|Trainability||Low to Medium||Medium|
|Activities||Transportation||Watch dogs, companion dogs|
|Complication in Breeding||No||No|
|Litter Size||4 – 6 Puppies||1 – 3 puppies|
|Life Span||12 – 14 Years||10-18 years|
|Other Names||Chukcha, Chuksha||–|
Chihuahua Husky Mix Personality
A Chihuahua Husky mix’s size and appearance will differ depending on which parent gene the puppy inherits. Chi-Husky is often a cross between a female Husky and a male Chihuahua owing to breed size. Chi-Husky can reach a height of 6-15 inches at the shoulder and weigh up to 7-15 pounds.
Suppose the Chihuahua gene is dominant. In that case, a Chi-Husky has bright ruby or dark-colored round eyes and large, erect ears. The coat may be shiny and long. Also, he inherits the marked or splashed coat of Chihuahua.
If the Husky gene is dominant, your Chi-Husky has blue or brown almond-shaped eyes and highly set, triangular ears. Their nose is liver or black with a medium-length muzzle. With regards to coat, it is double-layered, well-furred, and medium-length.
Most likely, the classic Chi-Husky takes after Siberian Husky’s coat and the personality of Chihuahua. They look like a teacup or miniature version of a Siberian Husky with short legs. As a toy- to a small-sized dog, they will do fine in apartment living, but they will perform best if they have enough space or a yard to run around on their own. Chi- Huskies are sensitive to sunlight. Hence, it would help closely watch them and prevent them from suffering from heatstroke or other skin issues.
Chi-Husky can have a black, gray, white, tan, chocolate, or fawn coat, while some can be bicolored or tricolored. Some breeds also can have that distinctive Husky mask or markings.
|Affection level||Medium to High|
|Pet-friendly||Low to Medium|
|Good for new pet owners||Medium to High|
|Good for apartment living||Medium to High|
|Sensitivity level||Medium to High|
|Tolerates being alone||Low|
|Tolerates cold weather||Low to Medium|
|Tolerates hot weather||Low to Medium|
Chihuahua Husky Mix Temperament
The temperament and overall character of a Chi-Husky are unpredictable, like their appearance. If they have inherited the disposition of their Chihuahua parent, they would have larger-than-life personalities. They manifest a bit of aggression towards outsiders or can be reserved. They would also be detrimental when bored, so you need to engage them consistently in different activities. The main trait is that they connect with a single person. Chihuahuas tend to dedicate their lives to their owners, so expect your Chi-Husky will manifest this trait.
If your Chi-Husky exhibits Husky traits, they would be highly destructive. So, they would need skilful owners who can guide them with dominance. Despite this, you will never see this crossbreed bark at strangers; hence they are not fit as guard dogs.
Chi-Huskies are friendly and affectionate dogs. They make exceptional family pets, but only for qualified owners with older children. This breed can find kids too exuberant and playful, which can make them bite and snap. Additionally, small canines are more delicate. Anyone who wants to own this adorable dog should know to deal with feisty, stubborn breeds indicating aggressive tendencies.
Chihuahua Husky Mix Training
The Chi-Husky mix should undergo early socialization and proper obedience training. Both parent breeds are recognized for their intelligence, so training will be easy for this designer breed. Here are some tips to help train a Husky mixed with a Chihuahua:
- Establish a daily routine
- Be consistent
- Socialize your dog
- Get rid of distractions
- Always use positive reinforcement
- Negative reinforcement or other discipline types can be scary and overwhelming
|Easy to train||Medium to High|
|Intelligence||Medium to High|
|Tendency for mouthiness||Medium to High|
|Tendency to bark and howl||Medium|
|Wanderlust ability||Medium to High|
Chihuahua Husky Mix Exercise Needs
Chi-Husky requires at least 30-60 minutes of daily exercise. Never overexert them as they won’t have the same energy or structure as the Husky. Besides that, their Chihuahua parent is predisposed to Brachycephaly, indicating they can undergo respiratory illnesses and breathing problems due to their short muzzle.
Chi-Husky might also be susceptible to heat. Getting a suitable toy can keep your dog mentally and physically engaged. This will also prevent destructive inclinations from appearing.
Exercise Needs Overview
|Playfulness||Medium to High|
Chihuahua Husky Mix Grooming
Chi-Huskies are not hypoallergenic, but they don’t shed as much as Huskies do. They are considered low- to medium-shedders who need weekly brushing. Do it more frequently during shedding season, 2 to 3 times weekly at least. But grooming will depend on the coat type your dog inherited. Bathe them when needed, so you can avoid drying your dog’s hair and removing their natural oils. Clean and check their ears weekly to make sure they are also clean, dry, and infection-free. Never forget to trim their nails to avoid splitting or breakage and brush their teeth regularly.
|Tendency to Drool||Low|
|Easy to Groom||High|
Chihuahua Husky Mix Health
Generally, mixed breeds like Chi-Huskies are healthier than their purebred parents because of crossed vigor. However, there are risks of inheriting health diseases from their parent breeds.
|Weight Gain Possibilities||Medium|
|Size||Low to Medium|
- Brachycephalic Syndrome: This is a disorder where the dog’s nostrils will narrow to the extent that they can block the nasal airways. This would create a difficulty in breathing to even a total hindrance in breathing.
- Cataracts: This disorder is caused due to the eye lens thickening, leading to cloudy vision. You can treat this condition either with surgery or medication.
- Collapsed Trachea: A dog’s windpipe or trachea is a muscular tube backed by soft cartilage rings. On its passage to the lungs, the trachea moves through the dog’s neck. When a dog pulls too hard on a choke chain or collar, it can create a tracheal collapse.
- Dental Issues: Dental issues like bleeding gums, cavities, gum inflammation are common in Chi-Husky Mix.
- Heart Problem: Although Huskies are not predisposed to heart problems, Chihuahuas can undergo Patent Ductus Arteriosus (PDA). This is a condition that exhibits after the pup is born. It hits a small blood artery in the heart and blocks it from shutting correctly. The difficulty happens when weaker heart valves let blood flow backward, setting the heart under a lot of pressure.
- Hip dysplasia: A skeletal disorder that strikes a puppy’s joints. It’s more common in larger breeds, but it can occur in any dog. Since Huskies are large-sized canines and predisposed to this disease, your Chi-Husky is also in danger.
- Patellar Luxation: This is an orthopedic difficulty that concerns small dogs often. Patellar luxation occurs when one or both of the dog’s kneecaps dislocate due to a trauma or an accident.
- Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA): This disease happens when the Chi-Husky’s retina degenerates. This is expensive to rectify and can result in blindness if left untreated.
- Zinc Deficiency: When your mixed dog undergoes zinc deficiency, they will show hair loss on the lip area, eyes, elbows, chin, and feet. To relieve symptoms, vets usually recommend zinc supplements.
- Hypoglycemia: Chi-Huskies with low blood sugar or hypoglycemia frequently feel drowsy, weak, dizzy, and disoriented.
Chihuahua Husky Mix Diet and Nutrition
Chi-Huskies need high-quality dog food, preferably natural fruits and vegetables, real meat, and little grains or additives, considering their health, age, weight, and metabolism. Since Huskies are sensitive to hip and joint issues, enhance their diet with chondroitin, glucosamine, and fish oil.
Chihuahua Husky Mix Living Condition
Chi-Husky can quickly adapt to any environment they live in. Hence, they require lots of engagement to keep them physically and mentally stimulated. In addition, they want a loving residence for proper growth. Therefore, a yard with appropriate fencing is the most suitable place for them to play around.
Adding Chihuahua Husky Mix to Your Family
Things to Remember before Buying a Chihuahua Husky Mix
Ensure to get a Chi-Husky puppy only from a reliable breeder. They guarantee the wellness and satisfaction of both the puppies and their parents. In addition, they should provide health clearance reports along with gene tests for a vaccinated pup.
Cost Of a Chihuahua Husky Mix Puppy
Chihuahua Husky mixes can range from $1000 to $2000, not including miscellaneous costs.
Chihuahua Husky Mix Images
Chihuahua Husky Mix Videos
Other Chihuahua Mixes
- Jach Chi
- Chigi or Chorgi
- Chipoo or Poochi
- Golden Chi
- Italian Greyhuahua
- Taco Terrier
- French Bullhuahua
- Chi Apso
- Wire Chioxy
- Eskimo Chi
- American Bullhuahua
- Chi Chi
- Chi Staffy Bull
- Smooth Chisoxy
Other Husky Mixes:
- Aussie Siberian
- Bernese Husky
- Buskton Terrier
- Dalmation Husky
- Gerberian Shepsky
- Husky and Corgi
- Husky Inu
- Husky Jack
- Labrador Husky
- Sharberian Husky
- Siberian Boston
- Siberian Cocker
- Siberian Pinscher
- Siberian Pyrenees
- Siberian Retriever