Prefurred

Can Dogs Eat Skittles? Read Before You Feed Your Dog

No, your dog cannot eat Skittles. Skittles do not provide any nutritional benefits to your dog. The candies are mostly sugar, food colors, and fruit flavors. Excessive sugar is bad for your dog’s health. Eating Skittles will affect your dog’s blood sugar levels and heart and could cause numerous health issues such as obesity, cardiovascular diseases, and diabetes.

What are Skittles?

Skittles are a brand of tiny and colorful candy manufactured by Wrigleys. They are packed in small packets with many candies inside and are sold in various flavors.

Skittles were first sold commercially in 1974 by a British company. The name of the candy, Skittles, is taken from the sports game of the same name. North America was first introduced to Skittles in 1979 as an import confectionery. The domestic production of Skittles began in the United States in 1982.

Corn syrup, processed sugar, and hydrogenated palm kernel oil – These three ingredients make 98% of the product. The rest of the 2% of ingredients are tapioca dextrin, citric acid, malic acid, modified corn starch, carnauba wax, artificial and natural flavors, and colors.

Colourful Candies

Are Skittles Safe For Dogs?

Skittles are safe in the sense that they are not toxic or poisonous for the dogs. But it is recommended that they should not be given to dogs.

Keep in mind that the dog should not swallow the wrapper of Skittles or any other candy at any cost. 

Why are Skittles Bad For Dogs?

Skittles are high in sugar: Excessively sugary foods will raise your dog’s blood sugar – so it is especially harmful to dogs that are diabetic. High amounts of sugar also lead to weight gain in dogs. In addition, obese dogs are more prone to heart diseases, organ issues, and diabetes. Sugar also causes cavities and leads to poor dental health in dogs. Processed sugar also potentially causes hormonal and metabolic problems in canines.

Another concern when a dog eats Skittles is the danger of accidentally swallowing the plastic packaging. Candy wrappers can lead to blockage in your dog’s throat or intestines.

How much Skittles to feed your Dog?

A minimal amount of Skittles once in a blue moon, as a rare treat, will not do your dog any harm. But, Skittles barely provide any nutritional benefit. So, for the dog’s best interests, they should be kept away from your dog.

What if my Dog ate Skittles?

If your dog eats Skittles, watch out for these symptoms:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Loss of appetite
  • Stomach upset 
  • Bloating
  • Cramps

If your dog shows any of these symptoms, immediately take him to the veterinarian.

Alternatives to Skittles

Frequently asked Questions

Can Dogs Eat Sour Skittles?

Sour candies are generally not recommended for dogs. At times, these candies contain xylitol, a sugar substitute. Xylitol is absorbed quickly upon ingestion. As a result, it might cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) to develop. If your dog has eaten too many sour Skittles, this may result in xylitol poisoning. The symptoms include loss of balance and convulsion. In severe cases, eating sour Skittles can result in liver failure and even death.

Hence, pet parents are recommended to always check the ingredients before giving their pet any candy.

Final Thoughts

In conclusion, it is best not to feed Skittles to your dog. They contain a lot of sugar. Excessive sugar consumption in dogs can result in heart issues, dental issues, diabetes, obesity, and metabolic issues. Suppose your dog swallows Skittles’ wrapper or any wrapper of any candy. In that case, rush your dog to the veterinarian as soon as possible.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.