Prefurred

Can Dogs Eat Oreos? Everything You Need to Know

No, dogs should not eat Oreos as they contain cocoa, fats, added sugars, and other unhealthy ingredients. In addition, the level of cocoa they contain can be dangerous in large quantities, mainly to smaller breeds and puppies. This is because cocoa has caffeine and theobromine, both of which are poisonous to dogs. 

What Are Oreos? 

Oreo is an American cookie consisting of two biscuits or wafers with a sweet crème filling. Oreo is the top-selling cookie brand in the United States. In the twenty-first century, it has become the number one selling cookie globally.  

According to Delish, Oreo cookies are technically vegan. The ingredients are relatively simple: flour, sugar, oil, cocoa, high fructose corn syrup, salt, leavening agents like yeast and baking powder, soy lecithin, aromatic compounds like vanillin, corn starch, and chocolate. 

Are Oreos Safe for Dogs? 

Oreos are not safe for dogs as they contain cocoa, fats, added sugars, and other toxic ingredients for dogs. In addition, products full of fats and sugars, such as Oreos, can make your dog obese and prone to the development of severe diseases.   

Why are Oreos Bad for Dogs? 

Chocolate & Cocoa: Chocolate is toxic to dogs. It contains theobromine and xylitol as major ingredients and alcohol and caffeine as minor ingredients, all of which are harmful to dogs. These compounds may cause blood vessel dilation, diarrhea, heart stimulation, seizures, and affect muscle tone and function.  

Sugar & High Fructose Corn Syrup: Dogs have a sweet tooth similar to humans. Overconsumption of sugar and high fructose corn syrup can cause obesity and diabetes in your dogs. 

Enriched Flour: Flour is made from wheat, one of the most common allergens affecting dogs. The vitamins such as B1, B2, and Iron found in enriched flour can lead to gastrointestinal issues. 

Soy Lectin: Soy lectin is a flavor stabilizer and food-grade emulsifier made from soybeans that contain natural haemagglutinin and toxins. Hence, soy lecithin causes gastric distress, reduced protein digestion, blood clotting, and amino acid uptake deficiencies. They may also intervene with the thyroid gland’s capacity to produce hormones essential for normal thyroid function in dogs. 

Palm Oil: Palm oil is obtained from the fruit of the palm tree. It is not toxic to dogs, but it does have a laxative effect, contributing to the risk of your dog suffering from diarrhea after enjoying this tasty snack.  

There are around 50 calories in one cookie. The calorie requirements differ depending on a dog’s age, breed, sex, and activity level. For example, an average 10 kg dog requires around 500-600 kcal per day, so even one cookie is a considerable chunk of those calories.  

So, Oreos are not safe for a dog to consume, as their toxicity is too high. 

What If My Dog Ate Oreos? 

Symptoms to look out for if your dog has consumed Oreos are: 

  • Trembling, shaking, seizures 
  • Panting and increased heart rate 
  • Unsuccessful attempts to defecate or vomit 
  • Abdominal swelling or tense stomach 

Also, consumption of Oreos can cause the following disorders in dogs:

Pancreatitis: Oreos contain a lot of fat with no nutritional benefits and are just empty calories. In dogs, high-fat levels within the diet have been linked to a severe and painful condition known as pancreatitis. Symptoms of Pancreatitis are:

  • Tiredness
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Fever
  • Stomach ache
  • Prayer stance 

Chocolate poisoning: Chocolate is toxic to dogs. It contains methylxanthines like caffeine and theobromine, which dogs cannot break down like humans. Symptoms of chocolate poisoning are:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Increased thirst
  • Panting or restlessness
  • Excessive urination
  • Racing heart rate. 

In severe cases, muscle tremors, seizures, and heart failure can be seen. Signs of chocolate poisoning usually appear within 6 to 12 hours after your dog has eaten it and may last up to 72 hours.

Dental issues and cavities: When dogs consume sugar, the bacteria inside their mouth will start producing acids, which cause loss of minerals in the enamel of their teeth. If you give him sugary treats like Golden Oreos, the chances of having dental issues and cavities increase. 

Oreos, especially Golden Oreos, contain too much sugar, which is not healthy for dogs as it can lead to: 

  • Upset stomach
  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Weight gain
  • Obesity
  • Diabetes

Dehydration: Vomiting and diarrhea will make your dog lose water content in its body. Dehydration is very critical and if your dog ate Oreos, make sure to provide them with enough water and keep your dog well-hydrated. 

If they cannot drink, this could be a first warning that something is wrong, so contact your vet.

An easy way to check if your dog is dehydrated is to pinch their skin. The skin should snap back quickly. If it doesn’t or moves around slowly, it is hazardous.

A dehydrated dog will also feel tired and weak, so look out for indications of unusual lethargy.

Hypoglycemia/ Xylitol Poisoning: Xylitol is used as a substitute for sugar, which has a low glycemic index and is ideal for those who like sweet treats but don’t want to gain weight. Xylitol doesn’t stimulate insulin production in humans, but it does in dogs. So if your dog consumes any food containing xylitol, they’re at a high risk of hypoglycemia.

Hypoglycemia happens when sugar levels in the blood get too low. It is risky because when the sugar levels drop below the safe border, your dog may undergo seizures and is at risk of dying.

Alcohol Poisoning: Alcohol is unhealthy for dogs and can be quickly fatal. Unfortunately, alcohol is found not only in drinks but also in some foods like dough or chocolate. Alcohol is poisonous to dogs and threatens their lives, even the small amounts in chocolate candies.

Hence, feeding your dog Oreos leads to alcohol poisoning in them. Symptoms of alcohol poisoning in dogs are:

  • Vomiting
  • Fever
  • Restlessness
  • Heavy breathing
  • Disorientation
  • Tremors and seizures

If untreated, alcohol poisoning results in organ failure and even death in severe cases.

Caffeine Intoxication: Caffeine is too toxic to your dog, the same as theobromine does.

Thus, providing your pet Oreos can cause caffeine intoxication in them.

Symptoms of caffeine intoxication begin 30 minutes after consuming any food or drink products containing caffeine. In addition, caffeine can burn the pancreas, cause vomiting, raise heart rate and blood pressure.

Some pets undergo weakness, seizures, and fever to the point of collapsing. Early symptoms include loud noises, agitation, and increased urination. In addition, large quantities of caffeine may damage the lungs, kidneys, liver, and central nervous system.

What Do I Do?

The best advice is to call your vet immediately. Their guidance will depend on the number of cookies your pet consumed and your dog’s health condition. Also, check if your dog swallowed any packaging. Your vet will evaluate the risk and suggest making your dog vomit; they may administer some medications or direct you to monitor for any concerns.

Side effects can depend on the number of Oreos consumed and also the dog’s size. However, the most common symptoms that develop are stomach upsets such as diarrhea or vomiting. These can differ from mild to severe and sometimes even require hospitalization.

If you notice any symptoms, consult a vet immediately to get the required medical attention. 

How Much Oreos to Feed Your Dog? 

A single Oreo is not likely to cause difficulties. But it is recommended not to feed Oreos to your dog.  

Alternatives To Oreos for Your Dogs 

  • Watermelon 
  • Pineapple 
  • Cabbage 
  • Yogurt 
  • Artichokes 

Frequently Asked questions

Can Dogs Eat Oreo Cream?

No, chocolate cookies are bad for dogs. Oreo cream is made with lots of palm oil and sugar, which can cause adverse reactions in your dog’s body. 

Can Dogs Eat Lemon Oreos?

There isn’t any natural lemon in lemon Oreos. Dogs should not eat them since they have so much sugar, palm oil, and high fructose corn syrup.

Can Dogs Eat Peanut Butter Oreos?

In moderation, it is safe for dogs to have peanut butter. However, it is safe to eat peanut butter Oreos rarely; Oreos are not a healthy treat for your dog. They have more oils and sugar than peanut butter.

Can Dogs Eat Strawberry Oreos?

No, Dogs should not eat strawberry Oreos. Though they don’t have any chocolate, yet they are high in oils and sugar.

Can Dogs Eat Pumpkin Oreos?

No, Pumpkin Oreos are high in fructose corn syrup, palm oil, and they even have paprika for the coloring. But, unfortunately, paprika is known as an irritant for dogs.

Can Dogs Eat Oreo Ice Cream?

No, the ice cream has too much sugar and milk which is toxic for dogs. In addition, milk  can cause constipation and bloat in dogs.

Conclusion 

Oreos are not suitable for your dog as they contain chocolate, a toxic ingredient to dogs. Also, they are high in fat and sugar content, leading to obesity and diabetes in your pet. 

A single Oreo might not cause much damage but it is safe to avoid feeding Oreo to your dog. Instead, the best choice is to buy them dog cookies or prepare the dog treats with canine-safe ingredients.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.