No, dogs cannot eat gummy bears. It is highly unhealthy for dogs to consume. The ingredients in the gelatinous gummy bears are toxic and hazardous to dogs. Feeding gummy bears to your dog leads to gastroenteritis (upset stomach), diarrhea, vomiting, choking, diabetes, obesity, and a lot more. In addition, gummy bears as treats are poisonous to dogs. As a responsible pet parent, you must avoid giving your dog gummy bears.
Table of Contents
What Are Gummy Bears?
Gummy bears are nearly similar to jelly candies. These are made with gelatin and other processed ingredients. The sticky solution is added into a bear-shaped mold and then is allowed to sit.
It was first developed in Germany, and the name was Gummibärs. In 1920, Hans Riegel Sr. started a company called Haribo. After getting inspired by the street vendors who used to make gummy bears in Europe, he produced these gummy bears.
Are Gummy Bears Safe for Dogs?
No, gummy bears are poisonous for dogs. The ingredients used to prepare gummy bears are strictly prohibited for dogs to eat. Consuming gummy bears can lead to many health issues like diabetes, weight gain, pancreatitis, gastrointestinal problems, diarrhea, vomiting, and a lot more.
Why Are Gummy Bears Bad for Dogs?
The ingredients in gummy bears are dangerous for dogs. Let us see the ingredients used to prepare gummy bears:
- Xylitol: As an alternative to sugar, xylitol is added to various packaged foods. It is highly poisonous for dogs and leads to the death of the dog in severe cases. Xylitol comes in contact with the digestive system of your dog. It gets dissolved in the bloodstream very fast and titillates the pancreas to release insulin. This leads to low blood sugar level, causing hypoglycemia in dogs. Also, xylitol toxicity results in hepatic necrosis, which damages the liver and leads to acute liver failure. If your dog is left untreated after consuming any food containing xylitol, he can die due to low blood sugar. Even a minuscule amount of xylitol is toxic for dogs. Symptoms of xylitol poisoning include:
- Vomiting or diarrhea
- Abnormal or tarry stool
- Lack of muscle coordination
- Accelerated heart rate
- Seizures and liver failure in severe cases
- Sugar: Consuming sugar excessively is toxic for dogs. Dogs require carbohydrates from their staple, which itself breaks down into sugar. Apart from that, no extra sugar must be given to your dog.
- Corn syrup: Corn syrup is used in gummy bears and is added sugar. Excessive sugar is harmful to dogs. Artificial sweeteners can deteriorate the dog’s health vastly.
- Gelatin: Few gelatins have sugar content, making it toxic for dogs to consume gummy bears.
- Starch: Starches alone are not harmful to dogs. If starch consumption is high in your dog, it must be immediately stopped, as it might be dangerous for dogs to consume a lot of starch.
- Artificial flavors: Artificial flavors added to gummy bears can harm your dog’s digestive system. It sickens your pet if not treated immediately.
- Artificial colors: Artificial colors are harmful to dogs, leading to severe damage to organs and overall health. Dyes like Yellow 5 and 6, Blue 2, Red 40 are dangerous to dogs.
- Citric acid: Gummy bears contain citric acid. It is harmful to dogs as a large amount of citric acid can damage the central nervous system of your dog.
- Cannabinoids: The presence of marijuana in gummy bears have become more prevalent after the legalization of marijuana in many countries. The two main elements, THC and CBD, lead to psychoactive effects in dogs that are toxic to your dog.
Hence, through the ingredients, we can see how harmful and toxic gummy bears are to dogs. Let us look at the consequences of consuming gummy bears:
- Low blood pressure
- Low blood sugar
- Urinary tract infection
- Metabolic disorders
- Loss of appetite
- Digestive issues
- Heart issues
- Damaging of the central nervous system
- Wobbly walking
- Liver failure
How Much Gummy Bears to Feed Your Dog?
Not a single gummy bear should be given to dogs as a treat. Any number of gummy bears can be havoc to his health, to the extent that your dog may even die. So, keep gummy bears out of your dog’s reach.
What If My Dog Ate Gummy Bear?
Suppose your dog has accidentally consumed gummy bears. In that case, it will take only 15 minutes to show the symptoms due to xylitol. The signs your dog will indicate are:
- Wobbly walking
- Hyperactive or lethargy
- Accelerated heartbeat
- Sudden seizures and tremors
You need to visit the veterinarian as soon as he shows these symptoms. The veterinarian will then examine your dog to rule out the toxicity in his body, along with a few medications.
Never keep gummy bears in a place that is easily accessible to your dog. Keep your dog under proper supervision round the clock to avoid any accidents as such.
Alternative to Gummy Bears
As a pet parent, you must always choose healthy alternatives for your dog. Let us see some of the healthy treats which you can give your dog:
- Sliced carrots
- Sliced apple without the skin and the seeds
- Watermelon without the seeds and the skin
- Green beans
- Cooked sweet potatoes
We are also sharing homemade gummy bear recipes that you can offer your dog:
Bone broth savory gummy treat recipe:
- 3/4 cup of bone broth
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened powdered gelatin
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- Measure and pour 1/2 cup of bone broth in a saucepan.
- Add the turmeric to the saucepan.
- Boil the broth in medium flame.
- Add the gelatin to another half of the bone broth.
- Stir slowly, and let the bone broth absorb gelatin.
- Add the cold bone broth into the hot bone broth and give it a mix.
- Pour the mixture into the silicone mold and let it sit in the freezer for 4 hours.
- Store the gummies for 3 months.
- Offer your dog these as treats.
Fruit juice and honey dog gummies
- 3/4 cup of pear juice
- 2 tablespoons of unsweetened powder gelatin
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- Gently pour 1/2 cup of pear juice in a saucepan.
- Boil the juice in moderate heat.
- Add the gelatin in another half of pear juice and mix it well.
- The pear juice will absorb the gelatin within 5 minutes.
- Gently pour the hot juice into the hot juice and give it a mix.
- Add the honey and stir it well.
- Pour the mixture into a mold and refrigerate it for 4 hours.
- Store them in a jar for 3 months and use them as a dog treat.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are jelly beans toxic to dogs?
Yes, jelly beans are toxic to dogs as they contain xylitol. Xylitol is highly dangerous for dogs as it may even kill the dog.
Can dogs eat bananas?
Yes, dogs can eat bananas as treats. You need to slice the banana into small pieces to make it enjoyable for your dog. It is nutritious to your dog and hence healthy.
Can dogs eat milk bones?
No, dogs should not eat milk bones as it causes cancer.
Can dogs eat Albanese gummy bears?
No, dogs cannot eat Albanese gummy bears as it can lead to severe stomach ailments.
Can dogs eat black forest gummy bears?
No, dogs cannot eat black forest gummy bears. This is because they are made with toxic ingredients.
Can dogs eat Haribo gummy bears?
No. Haribo gummy bears are also harmful to dogs due to toxic ingredients like xylitol, corn syrup, added flavors, and colors.
Can dogs eat Gummy lifesavers?
No, these lifesavers are toxic for dogs to consume. These can trigger many health issues in dogs.
To keep your dog healthy, you need to keep gummy bears away from your dog. Gummy bears are prepared using toxic ingredients like xylitol, Yellow 5 and 6, Red 40, Blue 2, artificial flavors, corn syrup, sugar, and starch. These are life-threatening for dogs and can cause death. Xylitol is the most toxic out of all the ingredients present in gummy bears. It has no health benefits, which is another reason to keep this away from your dog. From diarrhea to death, the consequences your dog will face are painful. Hence, give your dog healthy alternatives, or you can also prepare healthy gummies at home for your dog.
Check with the vet if you introduce new food items to your dogs. Give your dog a healthy and happy life!