No, dogs cannot eat green grapes, which are toxic when consumed. Green grapes, along with all other varieties of grapes, raisins are not safe for dogs to consume. According to research, grapes contain tartaric acid, mycotoxin, and salicylate drugs that can harm dogs’ health. Even consumption of single grapes can be fatal to dogs. Consuming green and other varieties of grapes can lead to acute kidney failures in dogs. Always contact your vet immediately if you catch your dog consuming grapes or raisins.
What Are Green Grapes?
Green grape, botanically called a berry, is a fruit from the vines of the genus Vitis flowering plant. Grapes can be eaten fresh and have many nutritional values. Fresh green and other grapes are used to make wine, jam, grape juice, jelly, grape seed extract, vinegar, and grape seed oil and can also be dried as raisins, currants, and sultanas. Grapes grow in clusters and are non-climacteric fruit.
Green Grapes Nutritional Value
Green grapes are toxic to dogs’ health but contain many nutrients. A 3.5 oz of green grapes contains the below nutritional value:
Are Green Grapes Safe for Dogs?
Green grapes are toxic to dogs when consumed. All varieties of grapes are not safe for dogs and are dangerous to dogs’ health. There is no clear idea about why green and other grapes varieties are toxic to dogs but may even lead to death when consumed. The dogs cannot metabolize substances in grapes like tannins, flavonoids, and monosaccharides found in grapes. This may cause grape toxicity in dogs.
Why Are Green Grapes Bad for Dogs?
Dogs are prone to grape toxicity when ingesting even a small amount of grapes. Grape toxicity causes kidney damage, and consuming even a small amount will lead to sudden kidney failure and death.
Monosaccharides, Tannins, and Flavonoids: These three elements are poisonous to dogs, as the digestive system of the dogs is incapable of metabolizing these. The consequences of consuming grapes are
- Kidney damage
- Organ failure
- Abdomen pain
Corn Syrup and Sugar: Products such as grape jam and raisins are highly disastrous for dogs, as they contain corn syrup and added sugar. Both the elements are toxic to dogs. The consequences of consuming corn syrup and sugar are
- Weight gain
- Heart issues
- Abdomen issues
- GI tract infection
- Kidney issues
Grape Poisoning: The toxic substance that causes poisoning is not yet known, but the symptoms of grape poisoning may occur within 24 hours of consuming the fruit. Initial symptoms may include weakness and appetite loss. Look for the below initial signs if your dog had eaten green grapes even by accident.
- In shock
- Difficulty in breathing
Other symptoms of grape poisoning include:
- Excessive thirst
- Extreme bad breath
- Increased urination or no urine
- Pain in the abdomen
- Refusal to eat
- Kidney failure
What If My Dog Ate Green Grapes?
Green grapes are harmful to dogs, either with seeds or no seeds. The risks of consuming green grapes include
- Kidney failure
- Loss of appetite
- Unusual stillness
- Death due to severity
If you find your dog consuming green grapes, follow the below steps without fail.
- Contact your vet immediately.
- Look for vomit, and if the dog doesn’t vomit, induce vomiting.
- The vet may give activated charcoal to break the toxicity and limit additional damage to kidneys.
- The dog may undergo urinalysis and blood work to examine kidney function.
- If the dog suffers acute renal failure, the vet will treat it with fluid therapy.
- Contact the ASPCA(Animal poison control center) helpline to determine the toxic reaction if your pet consumes any toxic food or ingredients.
Alternatives To Green Grapes
The healthy alternatives to green grapes that can be fed to your dog as a treat can include fruits and vegetables like
- Apples (without seeds)
- Sweet potato
Frequently Asked Questions
Can a dog eat grapes?
Dogs can’t eat grapes as they are toxic and cause kidney failure.
Can dogs eat a single grape?
No. Even a single grape is toxic and can kill a dog.
Can dogs eat raisins?
Raisins are also toxic to dogs and should be avoided.
Can dogs have grape juice?
Grape juices or wine are as harmful as fruit and should not be consumed by dogs.
Green grapes are toxic to dogs and should be avoided. Consuming even a single fruit may cause acute kidney failure and eventually death. Green grapes, raisins, grape juice, and all other varieties of grapes are harmful to dogs. The substance that causes toxicity in dogs is still unknown. Consumption of green grapes also leads to grape poisoning. Always contact your vet if your dog consumes green grapes to prevent any adverse effects.