Prefurred

Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

No, dogs cannot eat grapes. Recently, veterinarians discovered that grapes (including raisins and currants) could cause kidney failure in dogs. It is yet to know exactly what in grapes and raisins is toxic to dogs. Researchers have examined whether pesticides, mycotoxin (a type of fungus) present in grapes, or another factor may be leading to these issues, but no single cause has been identified for causing kidney failure in dogs. 

What if your dog eats grapes? 

Consult your vet immediately. Dogs may not show symptoms immediately after eating grapes. Even if your dog seems fine, they may be in trouble. Your vet may recommend that you induce vomiting at home or urge you to visit an emergency facility where they are likely to do blood work or administer intravenous fluids. If your dog starts vomiting, has severe diarrhea, or is otherwise acting out of character, it is essential to take them to a vet immediately. 

Symptoms of Grape poisoning are

  • Loss of appetite 
  • Lethargy 
  • Vomiting or diarrhea within a few hours of eating the grapes or raisins 
  • Abdominal pain 
  • Dehydration, with panting, dry nose and mouth, or pale gums 
  • Increase or decrease in drinking water  
  • Increase or decrease in urination 
  • Kidney failure 

Other symptoms might look like your dog is refusing food and acting out of character. 

Can eating a single grape be toxic to your dog? 

Even if your dog eats a single grape or two, it is essential to contact your vet immediately. Contact your vet even if your dog has no apparent symptoms. Quick treatment is your dog’s best chance at avoiding long-term damage and death. 

Can eating grapes kill dogs? 

Kidney failure is the most severe complication of eating grapes. Without immediate treatment, it can lead to a lifetime of health issues and death, probably within hours or days after consuming. 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.